On June 23, 1827 at the Second Quarterly Conference of the Sugar Creek Circuit, South Carolina Conference, we find inscribed in the minutes for the first time "the Meeting Society called Zion."
Thus began the life of Mount Zion United Methodist, one that has continued for over one hundred eighty-five years. Mount Zion has remained an active part of the spiritual life of the community bringing people closer together in the name of Jesus Christ.
Zion's earliest members met in the house of Samuel Kerr and shortly thereafter, they built their first Meeting House about one mile west of Cornelius. On this tract of land there remained only a small cemetery in which only the graves of Samuel and Dovey Kerr are identifiable.
In 1998 these few graves were moved to the present site on the grounds of Mount Zion United Methodist Church and were designated as a historical site. There a plaque reads: "with profound veneration for our ancestors who ventured to settle here and establish a house of worship dedicated to the glory of God during colonial times."